According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), Thanksgiving Day receives the most reports for home-cooking fires, which is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. I compiled a list of reminders to make sure your family has a safe and fun holiday.
Watch the stove. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires. Turn off appliances when no one is in the kitchen and set loud timers.
Stay alert! Medicine, sleep depravation and alcohol consumption can all make you drowsy and less able to concentrate on safety.
Remain tidy. Keep oven mitts, potholders, utensils, food packaging, bags, towels, etc. away from your stovetop and ovens.
Keep a lid on it. Use a lid to smother small grease fires. Never use water.
No Falls! Shovel and de-ice the driveway and walkways to make sure your guests don’t slip on their way into your house. Shovel out additional areas for parking so your guests aren’t blocking roads.
Don’t overload circuits! With crock pots, blenders and all the small appliances needed to make the feast you can easily overload the breaker. Only plug in 2 appliances at a time into a standard duplex outlet. Using an extension cord to multiple usage will increase the risk of overload.
Know where your fire extinguisher is located.
From our home to yours…Happy Holidays!